Brief History of Alpha Sigma State - Washington Of The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International
Alpha Sigma's history dates back to 1935 when Florence Peterson from Tacoma met Dr. Cora Martin, one of the national founders of Delta Kappa Gamma. Five years later, Ms Peterson and two other Washington State educators, Alberta McDonnell (Tacoma S.D.) and Dr. Eva Greenslit Anderson (Wenatchee C.C.) were initiated as Delta Kappa Gamma members. Alpha Sigma State was established at the May 24, 1941 ceremony held at Seattle's Washington Hotel. Dr. Annie Webb Blanton installed Ms Peterson (Alpha) as Alpha Sigma's first president. Dr. Anderson (Zeta), Ms McDonnell (Alpha), and ten other women also became state founders: Bessie W. Bankhead (Beta), Olive Ernisce Cleveland (Iota), Dessie Mae Dunagan (Lambda), Helen Williams Grotjohan (Beta), Lila A. Hunter (Beta), Mary Bond Lash (Lambda), Elizabeth Prior (Theta), Irene Marion Reither (Lambda), Edna L. Sterling (Beta), and Nan Wiley (Eta). They represented school districts from Bellingham, Ferndale, Seattle, Shelton, Yakima, and even Eastern Washington College. As the 42nd state to be organized, these thirteen women had the duty of sponsoring chapters throughout state. By the first state convention in May 1942, there were twelve chapters and a membership of 250 women.
Today there are 36 chapters and nearly 1000 members in Washington.